After a month away from this project (I took a two week trip to Africa for a photo safari), I picked up where I left off and shot several rolls of film out at Kinstone, one of my locales from an earlier test. It was a sunny day, so I wanted to take advantage of that and try to get some good silver development. I took an insurance step of shooting duplicate rolls, to protect against a developing mishap and losing images. I’d walk the entire grounds of Kinstone from end-to-end, noting the pictures I took in a notebook. Then I’d change out the film, and walk back in the reverse direction, taking more-or-less the same shots. The gambler’s psychology of film photography was getting the best of me, and I didn’t want to gamble much with just a few months before the exhibit.
I’m still getting some bromide drift from time to time, even with the periodic agitation during developing. This is the outcome that “anti-standers” use to justify their arguments against stand developing.
Coffee: Fiddlehead “Ethiopian”, 4 tbsp grounds in 12 cups of water
Film: Fuji Neopan 100 (120, and 35mm), fresh;
Camera: Yashica Mat 124G and Olympus OM1-n Development: Process 3g
In partial fulfillment of the requirements of my SEMAC grant, I held the first of two community workshops mixing science and art. I taught fifteen children at the Rochester Boys and Girls Club about the nature of fractals, and showed them how to make fractal paintings. Secondly, I invited them to photograph their paintings using a digital camera and light box. The kids were very enthusiastic about making their paintings, and showed a lot of care and creativity in staging their photographs. Some used mirrors effectively to “multiply” their paintings and create interesting patterns. I will select a few of their images to appear in my exhibition, as a way to tell visitors about the workshop.
This activity is made possible by the voters of Minnesota through a grant from the Southeastern Minnesota Arts Council thanks to a legislative appropriation from the arts & cultural heritage fund.
Return to Project Home Page